Benefits of Physical Activity
Regular physical activity can improve health in many ways including the following:
- Reduce the risk of dying prematurely from heart disease.
- Reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
- Reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Help to reduce blood pressure in people who already have high blood pressure.
- Reduce the risk of developing colon cancer and breast cancer.
- Reduce feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Help build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Boost brain activity.
- Promote psychological well-being and reduce stress.
From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Healt Promotion, and the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports (2011).