Move Your Body: Mindful Exercise
Summer is a great time to get moving! Whether you walk, jump, dance, run, swim, or bike, the warmer weather allows for many ways to be active. What is your favorite form of exercise? Do you exercise mindfully?
To practice mindful exercise:
- Focus on how exercise feels. Does it impact your stress level? Energy level? Sleep? General sense of well-being? Sense of empowerment?
- Disassociate exercise from weight loss. Avoid equating exercise with how many calories you burn. Instead, think of exercise as a way to take care of yourself.
- Be more active in daily living. Engage in activities you enjoy!
- Recognize that “it all counts” and you don’t have to sweat profusely to reap fitness benefits.
- Make exercise a priority in your life.
- Remember that listening to your body can also mean choosing not to exercise on any given day. While your body does need exercise, it needs rest too.
–From Intuitive Eating (Tribole & Resch, 2003).