Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
“Today you are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.” — Dr. Seuss
This is our favorite Dr. Seuss quote. It comes from a book called Happy Birthday to You! published in 1959.
Let’s look at what else happened in 1959.
- Alaska and Hawaii became our 49th and 50th states, respectively.
- The cost of a gallon of gas was 25 cents.
- Lyndon B. Johnson was president.
- The popular television show, Bonanza, premiered on NBC. It was the first weekly television series broadcast completely in color.
- And, ironically, Barbie made her grand debut.
We’ve certainly come a long way in 57 years. What has not made strides is our self-acceptance. For 57 years, this simple rhyme has been reminding children and adults alike to just be you. But have we listened? No. We need to hear this message just as much now, if not more, than we did all those years ago. Why? Because arguably we’re confronted now by far more barriers to self-acceptance than ever before. Everywhere we turn, we’re told that being you isn’t enough. And we listen. Many of us spend much of our lives seeking acceptance from others, not from ourselves. And this must change. Let’s start today. Today, on Dr. Seuss’s 112th birthday, let’s starting listening to him instead.